Thursday, September 23, 2010

Where The Wild Things Are




Title: Where The Wild Things Are
Author/Illustrator: Maurice Sendak
ISBN: 0060254920
Publisher: Harper Collins

    


     One of the best qualities that small children possess is their imagination. For example, children can make apples out of oranges.  In contrast, adults have a realistic attitude towards life, and can only see what is plainly before them.  But by reading children's literature, we can remember what it is like to use our imaginations.

     As a child I loved to pretend rooms in my house were different places.  Sometimes, I imagined my room was a doctor's office, other times it was a tree house, but mostly it was a school.  Who would have thought I'd become a teacher?  I can also remember when my grandmother and I would turn my dining room into a tea party on Sesame Street.  You see, to me imagining different settings made them seem real.

     On the nights when I couldn't fall sleep immediately, I would pretend my room was the Small World ride in Disney World.  I was sailing through my room looking at all the international dolls that were singing and dancing. This memory is why I choose the story Where The Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak. I feel a special connection with the creative images that were used in this text.

     Where The Wild Things Are is a story of a young boy named Max who uses his imagination to turn his room into a forest, an ocean and, finally, the place "where the wild things are."  The wild things are described as big, scary creatures with terrible roars, teeth, eyes and claws.  The illustrations did an excellent job of depicting them as terrible.  But Max was able to tame the wild things by staring into their eyes and scaring them. They were so frightened of him they named him king of all the wild things.  Eventually, Max missed his mother and got hungry so he sailed back home.

     Sendak did a fantastic job of both writing and illustrating this story.  Any young child can relate to the way the boy used his imagination.  The story comes to life through the pictures. It is one of the best text-to- picture books that I have ever read.  A few pages have only illustrations, which made me feel as if I am actually there with the wild things.  I could almost hear jungle music playing while the creatures were going wild.  I believe that Sendak deserved the Caldecott Medal he received for this book.

1 comment:

  1. Casey-

    I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I have not yet read this classic, even though I am very familiar with the cover. I honestly did not even know what it was about until reading your blog, which gave an excellent description. I have however seen the cover of the book countless times and whenever someone mentions the story I immediately think of the monster on the cover. This is because the artwork is amazing and it draws you in. It is never wise to judge a book by its cover but if the illustrations inside are as good as what is on the outside, it is no wonder why this book is a Caldecott Medal winner. I think you may have inspired me to take a few minutes out of my time and actually read the book.

    Imagination is a wonderful escape and I think something is lost in us, when as adults we forget to use it. It is great that these children’s books have the ability to take us out of the stressful reality of daily life and be let off into a temporary world of fun and imagination. Your story of pretending your room was different places at different times as a child was an exciting reminder of how limitless the imagination of kids can be. I really enjoyed your blog, Casey, and I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete