Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Legend Of The Bluebonnet

Title-The Legend Of The Bluebonnet
Author/Illustrator- Tomie dePaola
Publisher- Penguin Putnam Books for Young Readers
ISBN-0698113594








     I believe many people own something sentimental that they want to keep forever.  My most valued possession is a necklace of rosary beads that belonged to my grandmother. I had a very special relationship with my grandmother because she lived with my family. I fondly remember spending time with her and the interesting conversations we had. When I was eight, I asked my grandmother what she wanted me to give her for Christmas.  She told me she would like green rosary beads because green is the color of Ireland. (She had Irish ancestors.)  I was so happy to see the joy in her eyes when she opened my Christmas present that year. When my grandmother passed away, I kept her rosary beads as a remembrance of the special bond we shared.  They are my "good luck charm."  I kept them in my pocket while taking my certification tests, and knowing my grandmother was with me helped me pass them. Because the rosary beads are so important to me, I never want to part with them.  Since I could never imagine giving the beads up, I find it remarkable that the young girl in the tale I chose was able to part with her most valued possession.

     The Legend of the Bluebonnet is an old Texas tale that has been retold and illustrated by Tomie dePaola. Tomie dePaula succinctly and vividly explains the story of the Comanche tribe of Native Americans living during a drought and famine. One member of the tribe is a little girl named She-Who-Is-Alone, who always carries a doll that was made by her mother out of blue feathers that her father had collected. Both of her parents had died from the famine and the doll was her only memory of them. The tribe is desperate to see an end to the drought and they gather to hear what the Great Spirits have told the shaman they must do to bring rain to the land. The shaman told them that the Great Spirits wanted the people to sacrifice to show they are not selfish. The sacrifice was to be a burnt offering of the most valued possession among the people. That night, She-Who-Was-Alone crept out of her tipi, made a fire with twigs and burned her doll. She scattered the ashes and then fell asleep. The next morning, She-Who-Is-Alone and the other members of the tribe awoke to beautiful blue flowers all over the land and a warm rain began to fall.  Because of her great sacrifice, the girl was renamed "One-Who-Dearly-Loved-Her-People" and every spring the Great Spirits fill the land of Texas with beautiful blue flowers.   

     A legend is a story based on either real or supposedly real individuals and their marvelous deeds. That is exactly what happens in The Legend Of The Bluebonnet.  I can't think of a better example of a legend:  a story of how a little girl sacrificed so that her tribe could be saved. Tomie dePaula does a wonderful job of telling the story with words and also showing with illustrations how the little girl is alone and how she sacrifices to end the drought.  In the beginning of the book, there is a picture of the little girl holding her doll while the tribe is far away from her.  With the sad expression on her face, it is easy to see that she is alone, with no parents to love her.  After learning what she must do to save the tribe, there is another excellent illustration of the little girl holding the doll to the sky with a fire burning nearby.  The picture shows the courage of She-Who-Is-Alone.  The last page of the book depicts a land filled with beautiful blue flowers.  By looking at that, I can imagine how the Great Spirits wanted to reward the little girl for her sacrifice and am happy that they chose such a beautiful way to show how pleased they were with her.  I am also amazed by the sacrifice of the little girl and believe that she deserves the recognition she gets for her marvelous deed!       

    I would find it almost impossible to part with my grandmother's rosary beads. I honestly do not know if I could do it and I am an adult, not a child like She-Who-Is-Alone. I know that it must have been extremely difficult for this little girl, but she saved her tribe by making such a sacrifice. I am inspired by the courage shown by She-Who-Is-Alone and I love to think how the Great Spirits also show their admiration by filling Texas with blue bonnets every spring. Tomie dePaola did a wonderful job of retelling and illustrating this tale of courage and sacrifice!

1 comment:

  1. Casey,
    This week we both shared loving memories of our grandmothers. I see that your grandmother played a special part in your life as my grandmother did in mine. Sadly, with our busy lives and other worries we rarely get a chance to reflect on significant moments that touched our lives. In a way, these blogs help us reveal a little of our world while allowing us to connect with others in our class (not something we get to do very often). I also find it amazing of how brave and selfless She-Who-Is-Alone was in this tale. What a wonderful message this story coveys. Making such a sacrifice is indeed a difficult thing to do. Like you, I can’t imagine having to give up something that is so dear to me. So, this leaves me to ask, “What purpose does this story serve if even adults refuse to make sacrifices? As you mentioned, the introduction that this type of nobility is something that we should all strive for is just as critical to teach. Let’s be honest, we all hear of gracious things people have done and our hope is not only to admire these individuals, but someday share in their righteousness.

    ReplyDelete